I’m wearing: Dress by Kate Moss at Topshop | Heels by Nine West | Floral crown by Lovisa
Tot is wearing: Playsuit by Kmart | Sandals & Hat by Best & Less
Hello and happy new year!!
Every single year I look forward to this very day. It allows me to reflect on the past 12 months and start the new year feeling motivated, refresh and full of excitement.
In 2013, I set myself up with a resolution that meant no new clothes for an entire year. I’m pleased to say I did it and to celebrate, a shopping date with my girls has been organised for this weekend. Don’t worry I’ll be good.
What now? Well for starters I will allow myself a wardrobe update on occassion so the style posts will continue. However, whilst I love mainstream fashion, I do envisage myself investing in more vintage, second hand and upcycled pieces going forward. Secondly like most of the population I am keen to change my lifestyle for the better and be a good role model for my daughter. Raising a girl is interesting and although parenting comes with its challenges, Hubs and I will do our best raise her in to a women that is kind and thoughtful yet strong and independent.
Thanks for keeping up with my blog and I can’t wait for you to see and read all the things I have in store for you this year. Kicking things off are photographs of my latest style shoot.
Much love, Sovanny x
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT
I was a shoppaholic that realised I had a problem. This led to an opportunity for me to be less of a consumerist and more creative and stylish with my excessive wardrobe. So a little over 12 months ago I committed to a new years resolution that meant I couldn’t buy a single piece of clothing for all of 2013. I know there’s still 2 days to go, but it’s fair to say I farkin did it! No cheating. 12 months. No new clothes. In many ways, this new years resolution combined with all the blogging has been a wonderful experience. Although, what I am most grateful for is the support from my husband. He’s no photographer but a year ago when I asked if he could take all my photographs for the blog there was zero hesitation. His photographs are amazing and he’s been in on my journey the entire way. Then there’s all my friends and the amazing bloggers I’ve virtually met all over the world. You know who you are. If you are keen on making ‘no shopping’ your new year’s resolution I’ve listed some quick survival tips but first here is a short video with some of my favourite outfits.
1) Blogging or diarising your outfits to an audience will trigger that creativeness you. Also once you start blogging your outfits to the world you will be surprised what you can do with your wardrobe.
2) Shop for wardrobe essentials before the new year to help mentally commit. The less you think you need in your wardrobe, the better.
3) Be realistic with yourself. For instance I said no shopping for clothes. This didn’t extend to shoes and accessories but what I found over several months was that my shopping appetite naturally curbed itself. Think of it as though you’re on a diet and by the end you’ll come out a better you. Your bank account will look healthy too.
4) Un-subscribe or filter out promotional emails from the likes of shopping sites so you don’t get tempted by sales.
5) Build your networks on the social media scene. Instagram is great if you are seeking inspiration from other fashion bloggers. You’ll also become virtually well acquainted with amazing people and even come across some profiling opportunities.
6) Be easy on yourself. There will be days where you feel like crap and have the urge to shop so be prepared for that. I was stalking asos.com for months before I got use to the fact that I wasn’t going to buy anything. So instead I subscribed to Asos fashion finder and began posting my looks for other shoppaholics. You will find that something to distract and make you feel better.
I hope that this short list helps you with your journey should you dare to sign up. Thanks so much for reading and I wish you a happy and healthy 2014.
Connect with Mode Madison
I'm wearing: Playsuit by Asos | Shoes by Michael Kors | Hat from Anthropologie | Necklace by Lovisa | Earrings from India" src="https://modemadison.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/stripes.jpg" width="1176" height="1764" /></a> I'm wearing: Playsuit by Asos | Shoes by Michael Kors | Hat from Anthropologie | Necklace by Lovisa | Earrings from India
Hello my lovelies
Despite not investing in any clothes this year, I’ve still managed to not wear all the clothing in my wardrobe. With over 200 outfit combinations blogged in 12 months, you’d think that my wardrobe is completely outrageous. Except it isn’t if you compare me to your average fashionista. Truth!
Most days, I’ll gravitate towards the same clothes but you wouldn’t know it with all the different ways I’ve styled my pieces. Therefore fun items like this playsuit tend to only get worn a handful of times if any.
The point is, I bet most of us could live without a wardrobe update for 12 months. Agree?
Thanks for reading all and as always I love all your notes so drop me a line with your comments.
Last Friday I decided to take my little girl to the Melbourne Museum with the intention to visit the Dinosaurs and do some exploring. Upon arrival, I discover the Big Design Market is set up right next door to the Museum in the Royal Exhibition building. One word….EXCITEMENT.
I felt like ditching the museum idea altogether but couldn’t do that to the little one so decided to stick with the plan. We did the whole museum thing in the morning which was a lot of fun, before heading into the market for a ‘browse’ after lunch. The market was massive and absolutely buzzing with excitement, from people eager to buy the huge variety of goods by Independent designers.
After a short while, the Days of August stall caught my eye. The ties at the stall to be exact because I remember seeing them in Adelaide a few years back and regretted not buying any. Now that they have come to Melbourne, well I wasn’t going to pass on the opportunity to buy one this time.
This beautiful tie is hand pleated and fastened with a Canadian dime which can be used to adjust the tie in length. I can’t wait to wear it over and over again with other outfits to show you its versatility.
I’m wearing: Shirt by Sportscraft | Skirt by Forever New | Shoes by Nine West | Bag by Burberry | Tie by Days of August
There are a myriad of ways I could wear this tie and endless outfits to pair it with. To kick things off, I wanted to start with this fun and flirty outfit which I wore for work during the week. What do you think?
Other purchases from the Market to be blogged but in the meantime, if you love these ties there is a selection available on Etsy.
Thanks for reading my post and I hope you are enjoying the week thus far.